May 20, 2016 by janem213
With Paul not being well and so little being done on the chainlink enclosure (here it is, trench dug and poles up but little else… not his fault of course, *would* that he wasn’t ill)
I decided that instead of getting frustrated that nothing was happening and more importantly that the birds were on the verge of beginning to suffer, I would do something. At some expense I bought 2 of the 6m x 6m enclosures I had originally bought for the ducks and which the ornamentals were currently in. Previously I had waited until I’d got one on ebay at a bargain price, this time I didn’t have the luxury of waiting…
The plan was to have the two 6x6s side by side but a couple of metres apart, with mesh wrapped round both to make one massive enclosure – over 13m long by 6m wide (approximately 43 x 20 feet). It took 3 weeks working from 6 in the morning until 10 at night, before and after work and across the weekends… Here are some photos:
I used the base of the dilapidated shed for a pond. It only needs to be 6″ deep for them; there’s is 8″ at its deepest. The corler nearest the ditch has breeze blocks which are removed for the water to drain away down a shute made out of offcuts of pond liner and into the ditch:
The 6 nest boxes were put in different sorts of places and made firm. They needed ramps to reach them. I used logs for 3 of them and made ramps for the other 3.
After 3 weeks I was finally ready to bring the birds into their new home… : )
They are so much happier : )
Here’s how it looks now (below). Where the enclosure is there are lots of wild plants and little shrubs, it’s not just grass, so with time it will become semi wild and more natural, all part of the plan. I added a shelter for them that they use occasionally…
…and some screening to give them privacy as well as a bit of protection from the elements.